fbpx Skip to main content

If you’re an entrepreneur, you probably like adventure. If you want to make things fun and useful, you can also decide to work abroad; why not in Canada? But wait a minute… how will you work there legally?

Here are 6 options:

1- Show you’re indispensable

Usually, if you want to work in Canada, your employer needs to prove he wasn’t able to hire any Canadian to do the job. But what if you own your business? After all, you’re probably the best person to run what you created, right? If you want to start a business in Canada and prove you’re integral to the day-to-day activities, you might get an “Owner-Operator” work permit. Showing your business will result in employment opportunities for Canadians or that you’ll transfer special knowledge to other Canadians will also help your case.

2- Invest some serious money

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA, now the USMCA) signed between Canada, the United States and Mexico gives you another opportunity if you’re a citizen of one of these countries. The agreement allows for non-Canadians to work in Canada if they made (or are in the process of making)  a “substantial” investment in Canada…Pretty vague term to say you need to be realistic about your project ; trying to prove you can start a biotech company with 25,000$ might be hard, but no need to invest one million either.

3- Have yourself transferred

If you have at least one year of experience in the last three years working full time for a company that has an entity in Canada, or if the company wants to create one, you may be eligible for an “Intra-company” work permit. You’ll need to show you’ll occupy an upper management position or that you have specialized knowledge in your field of work.

4- Show you’re exceptional

If you magically discovered a cure for cancer and suddenly want to move to Canada to start a business, you’ll get here without any problem, don’t worry. Ok – maybe you don’t need to show you’re a genius, but if you want a work permit based on the “significant benefit” you can bring to Canada, you need to build a strong case… Overachievers, this one’s for you.

5- Be young, Be free

If you’re between 18 and 35 and your country has a working holiday agreement with Canada, you may be able to get a visa allowing you to work, live and travel in Canada for 12 months (more for certain countries). It’s plenty of time to start a business. Check here to see if your country is eligible.

6- Fall in love with the right person

If the person you like to cuddle asks you to follow him or her in Canada, this may be your chance to not only work on your relationship, but also on your business. That’s right, if your partner has a study or work permit in a high skilled occupation, you may be eligible for an open work permit. This will allow you to work for whoever you like, including yourself. What a nice way to mix love and business.

Leave a Reply